Last night,I read the malay mail as I was having my dinner.
One of the article that really really caught my attention is 'I'm Dyslexic,Not Stupid'
The topic was discussed by Muzli Mohd Zin under the I Don't Care column.
To cut it short,
The author tells a story of an eight years old girl named Rabiah.
During her standard 1,Rabiah who schooled in a rural area,showed her reluctancy to go to the school.This happens for several months and of course, her parents were worried.
All things come with a reason,Rabiah finally told her mum that she was called STUPID by her teacher and "she was humiliated in front of the class"for not being able to read.The author suggests that, MAYBE in rural areas,it is not regarded as something peculiar for after pre-schooled children who still dont know how to read.
After some medical consultations and whatnots, Rabiah's parents finally found out that Rabiah was actually having dyslexia.
Extracting from the author's article,he defined dyslexia as,
`Condition that makes it extremely difficult to read,write,and spell despite at least normal intelligence.Dyslexic persons often reverse letters and words,cannot adequately distinguish the letter sequences in written words and having difficulty determining left from right).
ya ALLAH! I do have difficulty to determine left and right.;p
Fortunately,Rabiah's parent concerns over her education was SUPERB!
They willingly allowed Rabiah to enrolled a National Primary School in KL,though they have to commute for more than 100km a day from their house to send and fetch their daughter as the school provides a special class for dyslexics .Rabiah now is in her standard 2 and she seems to enjoy school!Good for her..
After all,this story makes me reminisce back the old days of 2008 when I was working as a substitute teacher at a primary school.(teaching maths and science for year 1 and 2)
There is a boy who is dyslexic.He is good at playing numbers.However,once you gave him words for whatever subjects,he couldn't do anything.Pity him..
Luckily,his BM teacher is so dedicated that she taught him on how to read.
He slowly progressed,which is good! But,things makes worse when he was left behind by other students.
One of my colleague once suggested his mother to put him in a school which provides special assistance on dyslexics.His mother refused.
Maybe she denied the need for her son to be educated differently.
Well,she might have her own reason.
I pity my student as he's terribly lacking the interest to learn together with others.
Hopefully,now,he got the appropriate assistance that he needs..
Come on,dyslexics are genius!
Who knows,in the future, Rabiah and this fella student might be the one whose intelligence will benefit the world.Only ALLAH knows =)
Interestingly,Muzli (the author) suggested several things,
1.teachers should be trained to recognise dyslexia and other forms of learning disabilities
( Parents should be aware too)
2.Teachers are not to call their students STUPID! (strongly2! AGREEEEEEEEEE)
I would really appreciate it =))

7 comments:
Hi Yayadan.
I'm very interested in such kind blog post. It's very helpful in my current study and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Lala Teletubbies
Wahhh, aku rasa Tom Cruise pun dyslexic tau. Dia slalu suruh assistant dia bacakan skrip utk dia.. cool gle.. =D
Lala television,
Thanks for the support!
really appreciate it..
dont forget to call me for a press conference~I want to promote my new album Yayadan-syukur selalu.
Owh..didnt knew that Tom Cruise is dyslexic.
Luckily,he is talented
hi miss PahPihPuh,
i've changed my blog. it's now http://afifsukiman.blogspot.com
p.s. please send my regards to faz. I can't attend her wedding tomorrow. logistics problem. hope you girls enjoy yourselves tomorrow ^^
Afif,
noted.will miss little black book!
little black book dah besa ye..
Alrite,insyaALLAH!
logistics.lol!dah boleh keje dah ni
mak cik..
meriah ko ye guna contoh nama rabiah..haha..
memang bona namonyo rabiah dalam sughat kabo!
ayam den lopeh oi oi!
a'ah cpak, aku pnah bace sumwhere yg tom cruise tu dyslexia..haha..
Post a Comment